Rear brakes - How to adjust them :p

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear brakes - How to adjust them :p

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hi everyone!

As the topic states ... how do you adjust the rear drum brakes? The proper way LOL. I just use a flathead to turn the "clicker" then put back on the drum and go by feel to see how tight it is. The problem is that they are NOT equal and therefore under some braking situation I will get pulled to one side.

So how do you adjust them properly?
Also if it pulls to the driver side which side is the tighter (or incorrectly adjusted) one and needs to be corrected?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear brakes - How to adjust them :p

Post by mdmead »

Back up, brake quickly.

Right? Isn't the the procedure to adjust self-adjusting rear brakes?
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

You should get them close by adjusting like you said, use a screwdriver or your hand to move the clicker thing until they just slightly drag. I had the wheel off, removed the drum and adjusted by hand, then put the drum back on and turned it (parking brake off of course) until I felt a slight drag. Then bolt on wheel and back up and brake hard. You will hear a click if it adjusts itself more. I did mine a week ago, and today I heard it click again while backing up. So it adjusts itself as needed.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Oops ok I know that backup part ... I just have not done it this time yet as I have new rotor, caliper, pads in the front so I dont want to hotspot / warp them. Maybe that is all I am missing? Awesome! Thanks for the post guys. Yah I got them in with a slight drag but I know the passenger side is more tight than the driver side.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

You may need to have the drums turned. One might be more worn than the other. So one might be closer to a click stop than the other. I hope you replaced the springs and all the hardware at the same time. At $4 for a kit it makes good sense.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yes I did replace the springs because before it was pulling to passenger side bad so I thought maybe one spring was gone but it was driver side caliper ;p as for turning them ... no I did not but I hand sanded with a 800g and than 100g. I think I just need to do the backup brake hard :p

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

tons of info from our links forum...http://aplsweb.com/Topics/Brakes.htm

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hey Zam! Thanks for the post.
The links in there cover a lot of information. In fact I was just take a work break and sure enough it has the "warp myths" covered. Although I know for a fact I have warp a rotor before - visual anyone could TELL lol - it is quite hard to do on a quality set of rotors.
One of the links cover the "soft pedal" feeling - I was getting that a lot after I noticed she would pull to the passenger side which in turn lead to heat build up as one caliper was seized grabbing. Since last week from changing my brakes and bleeding out my wonderful mpg has gone back up as well :)

Now I am worried. Here is an article I NEVER read because common sense (which I guess I do not have) said bigger front brakes would be better:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_re ... ades.shtml

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

astrozam wrote:tons of info from our links forum...http://aplsweb.com/Topics/Brakes.htm

Dead link.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz