temperature reading on the gage.

Topic author
92astro
I finally get the smurf thing

temperature reading on the gage.

Post by 92astro »

the temp. gage in my 1992 astro is reading odd when i start the van up in the morning the temp. is about 60-70 degress but the gage reads 150 degrees then i drive to the store and turn the van off but before i turn it off the temp. gage says about the same or a little over then i go in the store 10 min. later i come back out and start the van and the gage reads totallly diff. it reads cold then i go home shut it off for a while then restart it the gage reads 195degrees so do you all think this is the temp. sensor for the gage? also the engine never overheats and runs great.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

coolen

Re: temperature reading on the gage.

Post by coolen »

Try not to get confused with the actual temp guage, and the temperature coolant sensor. is your guages analog or digital. i know my digital guages can show some funky things sometimes. However it is the nature of the beast.
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

it is analog gauge it is the sensor for the gauge i am talkng about okay here is the issue i really need help with this please i replace the temp. sender unit for the gauge the gauge is still doing the same thing every morning when i start the engine the temp. outside might be 50 degrees and the gauge says it is 150 degrees and this is the van sitting over night. it will automatically say that temp. the gauge never starts off on cold.
bryan in oklahoma i have a 1992 chevy astro with 174,000 miles runs and drives very good with a couple of issues nothing major future mods: 350 smallblock v-8 simple and easy!!, tach, rims and others!!current mods:15%tinted windows

remark123
I get chills without my van.

Post by remark123 »

Did you put thread sealant on the threads for the gage sender? If you did, it is probably affecting the ground path for the gage. Don't use thread sealant on sending units, the fine threads on the sensors are there so you don't have to use the thread sealant.(this also applies to teflon tape sealant)
1991 Hartland EXT with Z motor. Only 190K miles on mostly original parts.

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

no sealant was used

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

since it's running ok, I'd suspect the gage. Bad coolant temp sensors tend to make the engine run like crud.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

i think the one you are talking about is the computer one which is by the thermostat housing i am talking about the one in the drivers side head between cyl. 3 and 5

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

hmm interesting. My '89 only has the one temp sensor in the thermostat housing, and the sensor between 3 and 5 on the drivers side is the knock sensor... go figure

[edit] nope, that's not right, my '89 does have a separate temp sending unit for the gage. the knock sensor is in the block down below. learn something new every day on this site.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

where is the gauge cluster grounds and does the temp. gauge have a seperat one? i did change out the sender unit for the temp. gauge with a new one and i am still have the same problem and i tested the gauge it reads cold when the sensor wire is diconnected and reads hot when it is grounded so the gauge is good the temp. sender unit must not be getting a good grounded.

Topic author
92astro

Post by 92astro »

i meant to say that when i tested the gauge it reads cold diconnected and does not change when grouded. also my gas gauge is not working right it has always not worked right the needle bounces arould now when i have a full tank the guage reads half then start moving aroud. how do i fix this?

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

most likely need a new sending unit in the gas tank. the fortunate thing is you can buy a separate sender for the gage for a '92. first search I would recommend is http://www.rockauto.com
Now, getting it out is a bit of a chore. Basically the same process as replacing a fuel pump.
You will have to drop the gas tank. But actually it's quite a fun experience the first time. after that not so much. done 3 now... ](*,)

name's Steve

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Bryan,
While I just replaced the fuel pump on the LT,all the places I searched on the web stated it was highly recommended to replace the wire harness inside the tank because it is a common failure with these vans.The wire harness is very cheap to buy.I tried to remember if there was a ground on the harness outside of the tank by the connector to the van and couldn't mostly because I was focused on the fuel lines and really didn't pay much attension to it.Surely buy the sending unit,wire harness,and I would replace the strainer while I was in there.Drop the tank and clean it,then put on the strainer and wire harness inside the tank.Then put in some gas and see if it cures the problem with out putting on the sending unit checking it while the tank is still out.Return the sending unit if it does or then put in the sending unit if it doesn't.Could save you some money if the inside wire harness fixes it.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.